Residential Deck Construction
- Piers-42” depth minimum, 10” diameter minimum (frost protection)
- Posts must be attached to the piers in such a manner to stop lateral movement
- Joist hangers must be fastened with approved fasteners
- Decks must be flashed to the building in an approved manner
- Decks must be attached to buildings with appropriate lag bolts or nuts and bolts @ 24” intervals. (nails alone are unacceptable)
- Guard rail height is a minimum of 36” tall
- Do not put aluminum flashing in direct contact with pressure treated lumber
- Balusters must be spaced to block a 4” ball ( 3.5 inches is a safe dimension)
- Handrails must be “graspable”, 1.25” to 1.5” in diameter.
- All ends must be returned or done in such a fashion they are not “hooking” hazards.
- Height range, 34” to 38” off of sloped nosing plane.
- Handrails must used when there are four or more risers
- Guards must be used when the height is 30” or more of surface below.
- Standard stair geometry: Max riser=8.25”, minimum tread width=9.00” not including 1.00” nosing and open risers not allowed ( must block 4” ball)
- A deck which is not attached mechanically to a dwelling unit is considered “floating” and does not need frost protection under 400 sq. feet in plan view.
- Both sides of stairs shall be guarded when the vertical rise is more than 30”, this guard will be capable of blocking a 4” ball
- All exposed fasteners shall be weather resistant