Personal property is defined as all tangible property that is not permanently affixed to real estate. It includes, but is not limited to:
- Unregistered motor vehicles
- Office furniture and fixtures
- Business computers and equipment
- Vending machines
- Machinery and equipment of commercial and industrial businesses
- Leasehold improvements
- Business supplies
- Farm machinery
Who Needs to File and When?
Any business or person who, as of October 1st, 2022:
- Conducts any type of business in Durham
- Is a farmer in Durham
- Owns unregistered motor vehicle(s) in Durham; or
- Owns of out-of-state/out-of-town registered motor vehicle(s) located in Durham for three months or more during the assessment year immediately preceding October 1, 2022.
Personal Property Declarations must be completed and filed with the Assessor’s Office no later than November 1ST annually.
Personal Property Declaration Forms:
If You No Longer Have a Business in Durham:
If you sold, terminated or moved your business out of Durham prior to October 1, 2022, and would like it removed from the October 1, 2022 Grand List, then complete the Business Closed/Moved Affidavit
and file it in the Assessor’s Office.