• Education
  • Business & Commerce
  • Municipal Government
  • Community
  • Emergency Services

Animal Control

April Leiler
Animal Control Officer

John Miller
Assistant Animal Control Officer

If you are experiencing an emergency and there is no immediate answer at above number call: State Police Troop F: 860-399-9480

The Town of Durham enforces the Connecticut General Statutes as they pertain to dog licensing, roaming dogs, the care of, abuse and neglect of dogs, the enforcement of laws relating to cats, and the control of rabies, in order to ensure the safety and welfare of citizens and animals.

Durham Animal Control is on Facebook at Durham CT Animal Control. Please check this page regularly for updates and information

Roaming and Barking Dogs

Roaming Dogs: There is no leash law in Durham, however, dogs must be under the owner's control at all times and cannot be allowed to roam freely at any time.

Barking Dogs: A barking dog is a public nuisance complaint, 24 hours a day.

Dog Licensing

All dogs need to be licensed. Yearly renewals are due June 1st of every year. Please bring your current rabies vaccination certificate and a spay/neuter certificate (if applicable) to the Town Clerk’s Office or call 860-349-3453 with any questions. There is a $1.00 per month, per dog, late fee for all dogs registered after June 30. Follow this link for more on dog licensing requirements.

Rabies Information

The most common signs of rabies are:

  • Fever
  • Loss of appetite
  • Excessive irritability
  • Unusual vocalizations
  • Change of behavior
  • Restlessness
  • Jumping at noises
  • Trouble walking
  • Excess salivation
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Paralysis
  • Unprovoked aggression.

Animal Control Officer Information

Authority: Town Charter, Section 6-11 (refers to Dog Warden)* Powers

Duties: Those powers and duties provided by the General Statutes of the State of Connecticut

Printed Regulations: Section 22-327 to Section 22-380 and additional appropriate statutes of the General Statutes of the State of Connecticut.

Appointing Authority: Appointed by the Board of Selectmen

Term of Office: Two years

History: *At a Board of Selectmen's meeting on November 10, 1997 it was decided that the dog warden would be called the animal control officer. PA 91-159 replaced references to "local dog warden" with references to "municipal animal control officer" and PA 96-243 included "other animals" within the coverage of appropriate sections of the General Statutes of the State of Connecticut.

Nuisance or Injured Wildlife

For calls pertaining to NUISANCE or INJURED WILDLIFE issues call: State of CT DEEP: 860-424-3011

Rangers covering Middlesex County:
Joe Ruggiero
Harold Lindo
cell 860-462-3468

DEEP Emergency Dispatch 860-424-3333
DEEP Wildlife Division 860-424-3011
DEEP Durham Nuisance Operator - rabid animals 860-306-1991
DEEP: Dennis Schain, Communications Director 860-424-3110