The Town is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Minority/Women Business Enterprises are encouraged to apply.
General Employment Application
Library Technical Assistant
The Durham Public Library seeks an experienced and reliable library technical assistant to join our team. This is a 30 hour per week position, performing a variety of public service and technical tasks. Excellent customer service skills, computer skills, ability to communicate effectively with patrons and staff, and attention to detail required. Anticipated start date: November 1, 2021.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ordering, cataloging, and maintaining materials in assigned areas.
- Performing circulation routines using the Library’s automated system, including issuing and renewing library cards; checking library materials in and out; collecting fines; placing holds and contacting patrons, answering phones and responding to queries.
- Advising patrons about library materials and services.
- Assisting patrons with computers and other technology.
- May assume responsibility for other projects.
Qualifications desired include:
- Associates degree required; Library technical assistant certificate or training preferred.
- Circulation and/or library technical experience in a public library.
- Experience with computers and automated library systems. Experience with Sierra preferred.
- Strong commitment to warm and welcoming public service required.
This is a 30 hour per week, union position, with full benefits. The salary is $22.88/hour and the schedule includes two evenings per week and alternating Fridays and Saturdays. Successful candidates will be subject to the Town of Durham background screening process, and a pre-employment drug screen. To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to Christine Michaud, Library Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submission is 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 4.
Director, Durham Public Library
(860) 349-9544, ext. 5