• Education
  • Business & Commerce
  • Municipal Government
  • Community
  • Emergency Services

Energy Assistance

Energy assistance and information is available to eligible residents by calling:
Human Services: 860-349-3153
Community Renewal Team (CRT )Middlesex Services Energy Assistance: 860-347-4465.

Applications for energy assistance must be filed annually during the application period. Energy assistance is provided to income eligible applicants through the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) and Contingency Heating Assistance (CHAP). Funds are available to "clean, tune and test" your furnace. How much assistance you receive depends on:  your income & liquid assets, if someone in the household is at least 60 years or under 6, or is disabled, the number of people who live at the house and the type of heating fuel you use. The monthly income limits change anually. Please call CRT to determine the current income limit for your family or household. These programs provide assistance to help pay for primary heating bills. If the household's primary heating costs are included in its rent, heating assistance may be available. You may be eligible if your annual household income is at or below the federal poverty guideline. There is an additional liquid assets test to determine eligibility for these programs. Please call CRT with any questions you have regarding your elligibility.

Operation Fuel is a private, non-profit organization that distributes privately raised funds through a network of fuel banks that accept and approve applications from households in need of emergency fuel oil deliveries or protection against utility shut-offs during the winter months to low income, working poor, elderly and disabled households. Operation Fuel provides assistance to households with incomes between 150 and 200 percent of the Federal poverty guidelines AND who have been determined by the CAA to be ineligible for CEAP or CHAP. Applicants should bring income verification, their fuel dealer's name and account number, or their latest utility bill to their appointment.

Durham Interchurch Assistance also provides fuel assistance to residents, on a limited basis, to households determined to be ineligible for CEAP, CHAP and Operation Fuel. All other sources of fuel assistance must be exhausted prior to approval of Interchurch Fuel Assistance. Call 860-349-3153 for additional information. Applications for Operation Fuel are available in the Human Services office.