The Town is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Minority/Women Business Enterprises are encouraged to apply.
General Employment Application
Youth Services Librarian
The Durham Public Library seeks an innovative, flexible, and enthusiastic librarian to join our team and support our Youth Services Department, serving youth from birth to 18 and their families. Our ideal candidate will be energetic, collaborative, committed to professional growth and learning, and display a strong commitment to public service to children and youth.
Key responsibilities include:
• Under the direction of the Head of Youth Services, planning and conducting innovative programs and services for children and young adults, with emphasis on programming for elementary-age, tween, and teen patrons
• In conjunction with the Head of Youth Services, developing and maintaining the print and media collections for children and young adults
• Engaging in outreach to schools, daycares, and other community organizations
• Delivering reference and reader’s advisory services to children, teens, and families.
• In conjunction with other staff, the Youth Services Librarian also assists with circulation and public access services and provides excellent customer service to all patrons.
Qualifications desired include:
• An MLS from an ALA accredited school. MLS students and recent graduates are encouraged to apply
• Knowledge of best practices and current trends in collection development and programming for children and teens
• Experience in developing engaging, hands-on programming for school-aged children and teens. STEM programming experience desired
• Familiarity with current trends in technology and social media
• Strong organizational and communications skills
• Ability to work collaboratively, manage multiple projects, and ensure that tasks are completed accurately and on time
• Strong commitment to warm and welcoming public service required.
This is a full-time, non-union position (35 hours per week). Starting salary range: $41,000 - $44,000 depending on experience and qualifications, with full benefits. Some evenings and Saturdays required. Those interested in applying may send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Christine Michaud, Library Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 22.